Friday 24 February 2012

So much to do, so little time


I went on a little foray to John Lewis today. I don't go very often: the walk's just a little bit too far from the office so I have to take a slightly extended lunch hour if I go or I won't have enough time in the shop. Another reason for not going very often is I would go bankrupt. AND, the array of colours and textures and yarn weights and fibres is so dazzling to me and so inspirational that after a while I feel like my head is going to explode.


I wanted a large knitting needle so I could start making Broomstick lace. They didn't have one nearly big enough but I bought a 20mm crochet hook and it's turning out to be fine for the purpose - ie, creating a relatively small swatch. I also bought a 6mm double ended hook so I can make some more Tunisian that isn't incredibly firm.


I sat myself down and leafed through a book called Simple Crochet by Erika Knight today. I've seen it on Amazon of course, but this was the first chance I'd had to look inside properly. I found it very inspiring. I'd had the idea of producing a book of patterns done entirely in double crochet and although it's not QUITE that, the patterns ARE incredibly easy but they are BEAUTIFUL, tasteful objects in really interesting textures with a lovely, natural, understated colour palette. Very chic. The photography, of course, is all, and made me even more determined to team up with my friend Karolina, an aspiring photographer with an interest in my craft.


The textures make it of course, leather, raffia, string, hemp, as well as wools, cotton, linens and silks. I'm itching to get on with designing and making something to submit for publication. Lots of ideas but I'm holding myself up by wanting to maintain a momentum with my diploma, as well as creating birthday presents for family. Oh, and prepare classes for my students!
Fingerless gloves I'm making for my
sister Caroline's birthday. I got the pattern from
Nicki Trench's Cute and Easy Crochet


No comments:

Post a Comment